Emirate of Umm al Quwain
> Emirate of Umm al Quwain – all posts
Umm Al Quwain (UAQ), the second smallest (area of 770 km²) and the least populous (72,000) of the seven emirates of United Arab Emirates .
The economy of UAQ is based on trade (Umm Al Quwain Free Trade Zone, Port Ahmed Bin Rashid), fishing and tourism.
The name “Umm Al Quwain” might come from the phrase “Umm Al Quwatain”, which means in Arabic “The mother of two powers” (land and water – or – economy and agriculture) or from the word “qawn” – “iron”.
Sights / Things to do in the Emirate of Umm Al Quwain:
- Umm Al Quwain City.
- UAQ National Museum in the fort from 1768, built by Sheikh Rashid bin Majid of the Al Ali tribe, the founder of the modern Al Mualla dynasty.
- Old Harbour area – with a dhow building yard and old coral stone houses.
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque and other mosques in UAQ.
- Ed-Dur – Ancient Near Eastern City at north of Umm Al Quwain – one of the largest pre-Islamic sites on the Arabian Gulf, not open to the public.
- Falaj Al Mualla – inland oasis town and fort, nearby: a camel race track.
- Islands: Al Sinniyah Island, Jazirat Al Ghallah and Al Keabe, Al Sow, Al Qaram, Al Humaidi, Al Chewria and Al Harmala – creeks, mangrove forests, seabirds.
- Beaches: Umm Al Quwain city beach (Kite Beach – watersports), Green Belt beach, Baracuda resort beach (no sand, but beautiful sunset), Al Medfeq beach.
- Farms and oasis with date palms.
- Dreamland Aqua Park – the largest water park in the UAE (more than 30 atractions on 250,000 m²).
- An abandoned plane at Umm Al Quwain Airport.
Umm Al Quwain, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
∇ Location: view on Google Maps
UAQ emirate & city: Emirate of Umm Al Quwain | Umm Al Quwain | Mosques of Umm Al Quwain | Umm Al Quwain City at night | Umm Al Quwain Airport and abandoned plane
UAQ beach & sunset: At the seashore | UAQ Sunset | Umm Al Quwain Sunset | At Al Medfeq Beach | Sunset at Green Belt Beach
UAQ nature: Date palms | White plumeria | Mangroves | Desert farms
UAQ in black&white: Lemon | Doors
UAE: filming locations on 40thousandkm movies