Myanmar / Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Myanmar – interesting facts:
- The Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon is covered by more than 60 tonnes of gold and more than 4500 diamonds, the biggest one (72 carats) on its top. The pagoda aslo holds Buddha’s hair.
- The world’s most beautiful rubies come from Myanmar, among them the famous Graff Ruby (Graff Ruby ring was sold in 2015 for 8.6 milion USD).
- Pagan Kingdom temples and pagodas are famous for beautiful sunsets.
- Kyaiktiyo Pagoda is built on covered in gold rock, on the edge of a cliff.
- In Myanmar there are more than 135 ethnic group. The main one is the Bamar (70% of the population).
- Water festival (and water figts) is a part of Buddhist New Year’s celebrations (Thingyan) in April .
- Longyi is a traditional piece of cloth worn around the waist by men (paso) and women’s (htamein). Male and female version have different patters and different knots.
- People of Myanmar prefer to carry things on the head.
- Thanaka, a mixture of powdered bark, protect the face skin. It has been used for more thatn 2000 years.
- Lahpet, tea leaves, are one of the favorite delicacies.
- People like to chew betel leaf, which stains the mouth and might casue health problems.
© Agata Ziz • All photos were taken by me • All rights reserved