Senegal / the Republic of Senegal
A country in West Africa, on the Atlantic Ocean coast.
Senegal – interesting facts:
- In Senegal there are seven World Heritage Sites: Goree Island, Saloum Delta, Bassari Country, Saint-Louis Island, the Stone Circles of Senegambia, Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary and Niokolo-Koba National Park.
- Dakar, the capital of Senegal, was the finish line for the toughest race on Earth: Paris-Dakar Rally (now: Dakar Rally, 2022 edition took place in Saudi Arabia).
- The city is the most western point of continental Africa.
- Over 30 percent of Senegal population lives in the capital.
- In Dakar, there is the Africa’s tallest statue – the 49-metre African Renaissance Monument.
- Soccer is the national sport of Senegal, but the most popular one is wrestling (laamb).
- It is one of the best places to go surfing. It’s a filming location for the “The Endless Summer” movie.
- The national symbol of Senegal are lions, however that’s the goats and sheeps you can meet everywhere in the country.
- The other national symbol is the baobab tree and the juice from its fruit (bouye) – together with the bissap juice – are the national drinks.
- Peanuts and fish are the biggest exports from Senegal.
- Fadiouth is an island made of seashells.
- Lac Rose is a pink lake.
© Agata Ziz • All photos were taken by me • All rights reserved