Micronesia / Federated States of Micronesia
A country of 600+ islands in the western Pacific Ocean, in Micronesia.
Micronesia – interesting facts:
- The Federated States of Micronesia are located on more than 600 islands.
- The area of the country: 702 km², but the islands spread across 3 million km² of an ocean.
- Micronesia – the geographic region – includes over 2000 islands (Federated States of Micronesia, Palau, the Marshall Islands, Nauru, Kiribati…).
- Palikir – with population of 7000 – is one of the world’s smallest capitals.
- The country does not have an army.
- Operation Christmas Drop is the longest-running (from 1942) humanitarian airlift in the world.
- One of the islands – Chuuk – is the wreck diving capital of the world. There are more than 50 ship wrecks from World War II.
- Nan Madol, the only UNESCO World Heritage Site in Micronesia, is the only ancient city ever built on a coral reef.
- The largest crabs in the world live at Mogmog island.
© Agata Ziz • All photos were taken by me • All rights reserved