February 2020 (5)
A few facts:
- Al Jazirah Al Hamra (The Red Island) was originally a tidal island (hence the name).
- In the early 19th century there were around 200 inhabitants (most of them pearl fishers), in the second half of 20. century: 2500.
- At the beginning of 20th century it became the part of Ras Al Khaimah.
- In 1968 – as a result of a dispute – most of the people moved to Abu Dhabi (and hence abandoned village).
- Renovated Al Jazirah al Hamra Fort (and surrounding villas) hosts today the Heritage Village – a spot for art events and workshops.
- Some scenes of 6 Underground movie had been shot in Al Jazirah Al Hamra.
February 6, 2021
The landmarks of United Arab Emirates have been lighted up in red as UAE’s Hope Probe – after 7 months and covering 493.5 million km – will reach Mars on February 9, 2021 after 7.30 PM (UTC+4). The Hope Probe mission objective is to capture and study the atmosphere of the Red Planet.
UAE landmarks light up in red for the Hope Probe mission to Mars
Impossible become possible – the UAE’s Hope Probe reaches Mars
Hope Probe – Impossible is nothing