The nineth edition of annual Ras Al Khaimah Fine Arts Festival (RAKFAF) bears the Hope theme. For two monts (February 6th – April 3rd) more than 100 artists from 49 countries present their works in the Emirate of Ras al Khaimah, UAE. Main spot is Al Jazirah Al Hamra Old Town (pictured below), and two other exhibitions: at the public viewing desk of Jebel Jais and at the Open Park on Al Marjan Island.
A few facts:
- Al Jazirah Al Hamra (The Red Island) was originally a tidal island (hence the name).
- In the early 19th century there were around 200 inhabitants (most of them pearl fishers), in the second half of 20. century: 2500.
- At the beginning of 20th century it became the part of Ras Al Khaimah.
- In 1968 – as a result of a dispute – most of the people moved to Abu Dhabi (and hence abandoned village).
- Renovated Al Jazirah al Hamra Fort (and surrounding villas) hosts today the Heritage Village – a spot for art events and workshops.
- Some scenes of 6 Underground movie had been shot in Al Jazirah Al Hamra.