Seyðisfjörður (Seydisfjördur/Seydisfjordur)- a town and municipality in the Eastern Region (Eastfjords) in Iceland, located at the banks of the Fjarðará river, on the coast of Seyðisfjörður fjord, wich is surrounded by the mointains – amon them: Mt. Bjólfur (1085 m) and Strandartindur (1010 m). The town is connected with the Ring Road and Egilsstaðir town by the road that goes over Fjarðarheiði mountain pass (600 m, skiing area in winter).
Sights / Things to do in Seyðisfjörður:
- old colorful wooden buildings,
- Blue Church,
- fishing port and port – with the only car ferry connecting Iceland and other countries: it goes to Hirtshals (Denmark) and Tórshavn (Faroe Islands),
- Technical Museum of East Iceland,
- Skaftfell Cultural Center,
- natural interests: among others puffin colonies,
- several waterfalls,
- hiking paths,
- Tvísöngur – sound sculpture by Lukas Kühne (German artist), five domes – each with its own resonance – in correspondence to five-tone harmony musical tradition of Iceland.
September 18, 2018
Seyðisfjörður / Seydisfjordur, Eastern Region, Iceland