Białystok (the White Slope in Polish) – the capital of the Podlaskie Voivodeship, the largest city in northeastern Poland, cultural and academic centre of Podlachia (Podlasie), located on the river Biała river banks, near the border with Belarus.
Sights / Things to do in Białystok:
- Branicki Palace / Pałac Branickich – a palace from late 17th century, in 18th century developed in Baroque and Rococo style by the owner Jan Klemens Branicki. Known as Versailles de la Pologne (Versailles of Poland) and Versailles de la Podlachie (Versailles of Podlasie). In the palace complex: gardens, pavilions, sculptures. Now: museum and Medical University of Białystok buiilding.
- Branicki Guest Palace
- Lubomirski Palace
- Hasbach Palace
- Nowik Palace
2. Parks and green areas – one third of the city
- Branicki Palace Gardens
- Planty Park (with kids playground)
- Central Park / Park Centralny
- Museum of Podlasie in Bialystok / Muzeum Podlaskie w Białymstoku – a museum in the Town Hall at Kościuszko Square.
- Historical Museum in Białystok / Muzeum Historyczne w Białymstoku) – a part of the Museum of Podlasie, collections (among others): the middle-class craft utility, the Numismatic Cabinet with 16 000 coins and medals and securities, the memorabilia of the Tatar settlement in the region.
- Army Museum in Białystok / Muzeum Wojska w Białymstoku
- The Ludwik Zamenhof Centre / Centrum im. Ludwika Zamenhofa – a museum of the creator of Esperanto language, who was born in Białystok.
4. Performing arts
- Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic – European Art Centre in Białystok / Opera i Filharmonia Podlaska Europejskie Centrum Sztuki w Białymstoku – one of the most modern cultural centers in Europe; place of Halfway Festival.
- Białystok Puppet Theater / Bialostocki Teatr Lalek – one of the oldest (1953) puppet theaters in Poland, apart from performances there is the Puppets Cellar tour.
- Aleksandra Węgierki Drama Theatre
- Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary / Bazylika Mniejsza Wniebowzięcia NMP
- St. Roch Church
- St. Adalbert Church
- Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas
6. Squares and other buildings
- Kościuszko Square with the Town Hall (Museum of Podlasie) – a place for local products market.
- tenemens at the main boulevards in the city
- former textile factories
7. Must try Podlaskie treats
Kościuszko Square (Market Square) – where the local products marke takes place – and surrounding restaurants – are the great spots to try Podlaskie cuisine.
Where next? / Nearby:
Supraśl (16 km from Białystok)
Koryciny and the Herbal Corner (90 km from Białystok)
Białowieża National Park / Białowieski Park Narodowy (95 km from Białystok) – the best preserved part of the Białowieża Forest (the last primaeval forest part in Europe), home to the world’s largest European bison (żubr) population (»webpage).
Kościuszko Square view – webcam
Białystok, Podlaskie Voivodeship, Poland
Branicki Palace / Pałac Branickich, Jana Kilińskiego 1, 15-089 Białystok, Poland
Museum of Podlasie in Bialystok / Muzeum Podlaskie w Białymstoku, Rynek Kościuszki 10, 15-426 Białystok, Poland
Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic – European Art Centre in Białystok / Opera i Filharmonia Podlaska Europejskie Centrum Sztuki w Białymstoku, Odeska 1, 15-406 Białystok, Poland
Bialystok Puppet Theatre / BTL – Białostocki Teatr Lalek, Konstantego Kalinowskiego 1, 15-875 Białystok, Poland