Al Jalali Fort (Ash Sharqiya Fort) in Muscat, Oman – a fort, built in the 1580s by the Portuguese, in the Old Muscat harbour. Taken back by the Omanis in 1650, in 17th century it was captured twice by Persians. Used as a refuge or as a jail for a members of the royal family and in 20th century (till 1970s) as a main Omani prison. Restored in 1983, now a private museum of Omani heritage (admission only by permit of the Ministry of National Heritage and Culture).
February 16, 2017